Writing a Personal Narrative Ideas for High School
Looking for personal narrative writing ideas?
Writing a narrative essay about the personal experience can be the most enjoyable type of school assignment to write because it gives you an opportunity to share an important event in your life and tell about your most intimate life experiences or life lessons. The topic of your personal narrative essay should reveal your personality or you can focus on a memorable event that had a great influence on you and shaped your outlooks and opinions.
A personal narrative essay usually includes the same elements as an ordinary short story – a speaker, a plot, characters and settings, the main theme, and a viewpoint. But when writing your personal narrative, you do not need to create these key elements from your imagination because you know them from your personal experience.
When writing a personal narrative, schoolchildren are introduced to the magic of storytelling. The goal of personal narrative writing is sharing a personal experience to create an emotional reaction on the reader. Sensory details, similes, and metaphors are important parts of personal narratives because they help the readers to feel a connection to the author.
Many students follow these steps when writing a personal experience essay:
- Make quick notes of the main events in your narrative essay
- Organize all the events in your essay in a chronological order
- Decide what type of chronology you are willing to use in your personal essay: a flashback, flash forward or straight one
- Draft your narrative essay, writing in the first person
- Show, don’t tell. Provide your audience with convincing details of the events and vivid images that make your point
- Use a good combination of different figures of speech, engaging dialogue, and sensory details
- When you revise, edit, and rewrite your personal narrative, make sure that your piece of writing has a clear focus
Where to Find Ideas for Writing a Personal Narrative
How to choose personal narrative writing topics? Actually, a personal experience essay can describe any event in your life, no matter how long it lasted – just a few minutes or a few years. The only requirement is that your personal experience essay should have a clear point. When planning your narrative, start with a brainstorming session and write down as many ideas as you can. Don’t think that you have nothing to tell other people. Everyone’s life has some interesting events. For example, you can write about your painful or the happiest memories, the scariest moments, the moments when you were surprised or laughed the hardest. Make the list of specific events you want to describe, and select only those that can be arranged in the chronological order and the events that can be described with colorful, engaging or interesting details. Finally, make sure that the essay topic you have chosen has a point.
There are a lot of different reasons why you may need to write a personal narrative essay, from an ordinary class writing assignment to a college application requirement. Then you may need personal experience writing ideas. Here is a short list of narrative writing prompts that can inspire your to describe a memorable event in your life, to tell an exciting story, to observe some important details in your world or write about who you are and reflect on ideas what you believe.
- What challenges have you ever overcome?
- Do you have any secret survival strategies?
- What motivates you?
- Do you have any problems with time management?
- Who are the people that you admire most?
- What is the best advice that you have got?
- Tell something about your family’s history.
- How close are you to your Mom and Dad?
- What is your favorite place in your hometown?
- Do you know your neighbors well?
- Where would you like to live when you are an adult?
- Do you have any ideas about your dream home?
- Are there any moments from the past that you wish to return?
- What was the best gift that you received in your early childhood?
- What are you grateful for?
- When do you lie?
- How do you understand the phrase ‘to be a real man’?
- Do you consider yourself a feminist?
- Are you a spender or a saver?
- Can money buy you happiness?
- Are you addicted to texting?
- Are you distracted by technology?
- How real are you on social media?
- What music inspires you?
- What are your favorite books and writers?
- What words do you hate?
- Where do you want to go to college?
- What’s your dream job?
- Do you have a best friend?
- What is your fantasy vacation?
These 30 personal writing ideas listed above can serve you as a starting point for your brainstorming sessions and help you choose a good topic for writing an engaging personal story everyone can enjoy.
If you need help with writing your personal narrative or any other type of essay, you can hire a professional writer on our paper writing service and get a qualified assistance.
Our experienced writers can create impressive model essays on your topic if you provide them with necessary information.