Being a member of the National Honor Society (NHS) is very prestigious and helps when applying for scholarship. You can be nominated for the membership based on the performance in the following areas:
After being nominated, you’re required to submit an essay for National Honor Society. Writing a good essay can be overwhelming but the efforts you’re going to invest will be paid off. Having an articulate and organized essay will sure get you an approval of sponsors.
Intro about an essay
To correctly write an essay, it is necessary to understand that an essay is a small work in prose on a given topic. You can choose anything as a topic – your attitude to some event or reflection on a certain problem. The author of the essay, as a rule, talks about his personal experiences and impressions or expresses himself in an imaginative, emotional, and frank way.
Often in the essay there are conversational speech, aphorisms or speech expressions. Exceptions are essays for scientific conferences, public speeches at scientific councils, and other scientific events.
What is a National Honor Society essay?
A National Honor Society essay is an essay written when applying for the membership in the National Honor Society.
An essay is a written work that involves a methodical analysis and evaluation of a topic or problem. For example, in the case with NHS, you are invited to demonstrate and prove your interest in the Society and why you want to become its member.
When writing an essay, it is easy to fall into one of two extremes – to describe the facts, bypassing the interpretation (fearing its subjectivity), or vice versa, describe your personal opinion without backing it with facts. The art of writing essays consists precisely in finding this balance, in the ability to express one’s position, logically having it backed up with rational, objective arguments.
The goal of essay for NHS
The goal of the essay is to present yourself as a model NHS candidate by addressing the criteria for membership. Before you start applying for a scholarship, brainstorm key points and main ideas for your work. After that, write the first draft and ask someone to check it. When working on the final variant, include some interesting suggestions.
What is described in the National Honor Society essay?
When writing your NHS essay, describe the following:
- Emphasize your achievements in scholarship. The NHS recognizes discipline and the intelligence necessary for college prep or advanced courses. In addition, include your special academic achievements, grade point average, and info on any other academic organizations you’re involved in.
- Highlight your accomplishments and skills in leadership. Describe that you participated in community or school organizations. Talk about how you found out about the organization and started being involved with it, holding a leadership position. The officials of NHS are particularly interested to know what you have learned while being a leader. It’s important to provide examples.
- Talk about your experience in the service. It is a gold standard to be a member of the NHS as a service-minded student. Describe any service organizations you’re involved in or school or community service projects you participated in.
- Write about your character. Maybe you can describe a story that would greatly show your character. Everyone has different ideas on what the character is, so you may offer your own definition of a strong character and explain how and why you would fit in that description.
Key Elements of Good National Honor Society Essay
Usually a good essay gives a description and discussion of several positions or points of view, and then on their basis a conclusion is drawn reflecting the author’s informed opinion.
Therefore, before writing an essay, you always need to formulate what you think about what you write about, what your position is, and what idea you will be defending. In the case of the NHS essay, everything is simpler – you want to become the NHS member so all you need to do is to describe why.
Begin work on the essay with a careful reading of its title or task. What are you supposed to do? Describe, compare or discuss? What question is asked? Do you understand all the terms at this stage? Based on this information, you can start thinking through the text plan.
Structure of National Honor Society Essay
Next, create the plan and the select the material. Refer to the literature, try to get an approximate idea of what you will write about. At this stage, you need to make a plan containing the main topics that you plan to raise. Perhaps, this plan will be changed later. If your essay involves analyzing a large number of sources (which is not necessary in your competition), once such an initial plan is compiled, it is worth starting to collect and systematize the links based on it – what you will refer to.
So, the basic ideas are written and the material is collected. Can you start writing? Do not hurry. It is useful first to work out the detailed structure of your text. The essay always consists of three parts:
Introduction to NHS essay
In the introduction, you describe the question and its context, and briefly talk about the direction of your reasoning. For example, in the case of your competition, you briefly present the selected study and state in detail why you chose it.
Body of the NHS essay
Here, the arguments and evidence of your point of view are presented. It is important that the discussion be logical and consistent. In the NHS essay, write in details why you want to be a NHS member and describe those points that you are interested in.
Conclusion to the NHS essay
In conclusion, the essay summarizes the discussion and demonstrates that you answered the question.
Steps of Writing National Honor Society Essay
Here are the steps you need to follow to write the NHS essay:
- Deeply research the topic
- Analyze the topic
- Brainstorm all ideas
- Create an outline
- Write the essay down
- Proofread the paper
How to write National Honor Society essay step-by-step
Once you brainstorm all ideas, collect all the necessary info, and finish the essay plan in accordance with this three-part skeleton, you can start writing. You can write from any end – some prefer to first have a written discussion, and then frame it with an introduction and conclusion, others write all the parts consistently. The main thing is to try to write clearly, briefly, and devote one single thought to each paragraph.
Choosing a topic for National Honor Society essay
When choosing a topic, you need to be sure that:
- You know the content of the course
- You understand the meaning of the statement, the topic of the essay
- You have your own point of view on the essence of this statement
Writing National Honor Society essay outline
Making a plan is important because you will follow it when writing the essay. It will help you present your thoughts in a structured way.
Tips for writing
Some tips for writing include:
- Give yourself enough time to write a few drafts when applying for scholarships
- Make sure the essay highlights the priorities of the organization and meets all the requirements
Examples of NHS essays
You can find many good examples of NHS essays online, which you can use to get an idea about what to write in your essay.
Conclusion for an essay
If you have been selected as a member for the NHS, you can see that writing a good essay in not that difficult. The tips on writing the paper will help you develop your writing skills. In order to become an expert in essay writing you can also go through National Honor Society Essay Examples. After practicing, you will definitely get this great opportunity.