You watched a terrific film: fascinating, interesting, and exciting. You cannot sleep or eat until you tell your friends about this movie or strangers on the internet. Or maybe, on the contrary – you spent two hours on the film that was so boring that it can be prescribed instead of sleeping pills. Of course, you want to share your disappointment. Sharing your thoughts and feelings is a natural human need. Movies are not just entertainment. Like any work of art, it should encourage viewers to dialogue.
So, you are in a hurry to open any movie website and leave your own review for the film you just watched. Many of those who write there, sincerely consider themselves to be reviewers. But, alas, to become a film critic, it is not enough to share impressions with the public. Most authors who call themselves critics, in fact, simply write their feedback on the movies. What is the difference?
Feedback is your impression of the movie. What a great movie! – if you extend this idea to a page, you will get a detailed feedback. The review implies an emotional assessment but the review is a genre of film criticism, a small, concise publication that analyzes the idea of the filmmakers and its embodiment. The review requires not only an emotional assessment, but also analytical information.
Intro on how to properly write a movie review
What is the result of the cherished analytical evaluation, which distinguishes the feedback from the review? Characterizing the film, the reviewer should rely on such factors:
- Operator’s work
- Musical accompaniment
- Visualization (visual effects, work of costumers, make-up artists)
This is not a complete list of criteria, but these are the main points arranged not by chance, but in order of importance. Of course, everything is relative, and the mathematical algorithm for evaluating films does not exist, but the bad work of make-up artists often does not spoil the movie as a failure of the writers. Scenario or directing errors usually become fatal for the story, while the visualization flaws can sometimes be missed.
What is a movie review?
Review is a professional or amateur analysis of any work of art, including literary.
The review involves not only a subjective review, but also a description and a critical analysis of the work, revealing its strengths and weaknesses, comparing the reviewed work with other works of the writer or samples of the genre.
To write a good movie review, you first need to look through several good movie review examples to get an idea on how to prepare your own review.
Using the reference on how to write movie review
To write a review, follow this plan:
- A title. The title should first of all be of interest to the reader, but if there is no fantasy, in this case it is better to write specifically A review about the film … or A review of the movie …. However, it may sound pretty boring. The title should contain the name of the movie because the reader should know the subject of the discussion. The great way is to include the main idea of the review in the title, and not more than one short sentence.
- Introduction. After an exciting title, come up with an exciting intro, so that after reading a couple of sentences, there is no desire to close the page and never to return to it again. Usually, the maximum of 4 proposals are enough for the entry. These are a few common phrases that prepare the foundation for the narration that would follow.
- A short plot. Briefly describe the plot, without talking about the main things in the movie. In no case tell the ending, so as not to incur the curse of the reader. Write as much so that would people still want to see the movie. If the movie is not good, you can describe the plot in more detail.
- Analyzing the movie. Talk about the actors, if they reached the task, and what the task was. Analyze the plot to identify any weak or strong sides of the movie, if it was fully revealed, was it original and interesting. Talk about the director’s work. Did he manage to convey the main idea to the viewers? If you can write about the work of the operator, special effects, scenery, etc.
- Your own opinion of the movie. Give your personal impression of the movie. Don’t make it objective and base it on the analysis.
- Conclusion. Here, draw deductions and summarize your evaluation of the movie. You can give recommendations if it’s worth seeing this movie.
Good examples of movie review
Here is an example of a film review essay:
Movie – How to lose a guy in 10 days (USA)
A romantic comedy by Donald Petri
Main cast: Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson
A young journalist Andy Anderson, who works in a glossy women’s magazine and writes on topics such as how to dry nails faster, gets a new task: to write a story about typical female mistakes in relationships with men, which lead to the break up most quickly. But she should write an article, based solely on her own experience. At the moment when Andy leaves the office in search of her guinea pig, on the other end of the city, a young advertising agent Benjamin Barry concludes with his boss that his relationship with the girl can last more than two weeks. Of course, these two will definitely meet each other, and while Andy is capricious and exhausting Benjamin in every way, stoically suffers in order to win a bet. Naturally, the audience will guess how the story will develop in the first ten minutes of the film.
Tips for writing a movie review
Here are some tips on writing movie reviews:
- In order for the review to be good, begin immediately after seeing the movie. This way, it’ll be easier to transfer the info better and more precisely.
- Bring a notebook to the cinema. Once the movie is finished, write down the highlights that you liked and that made a vivid impression on you. When you come home, you should come up with a headline. Think of something original and unique.
- The entry has to reflect the main thought of the movie briefly. The main line of the story or, for example, list the names of the actors, in what movies they were filmed before, etc. will also be appropriate. But there is a very important rule: in no case disclose the riddle of the movie. Do not open all the cards. In addition, one should avoid all boring retelling.
- Analyze the film. Conclude if the main idea of the movie was disclosed. Describe the things that you liked.
- Share an impression of the movie, without describing your personal assessment. This is what distinguishes the feedback from the review.
- Conclusion – here it is necessary to identify what the viewers will get after watching this movie.
Conclusion about the movie review
If you competently write movie reviews, you can bring not only joy and good mood to people who will see the film after your review but also will save time those people who don’t want to spend it on a bad film and not get any pleasure.