Ethics takes place in our every day-to-day lives connecting both personal and professional parts of it.
The question of ethics in general is about making the best possible decisions concerning people, resources and the environment.
Ethical choices diminish risk, advance positive results, increase trust, determine long term success and build reputations. But how are we supposed to make the right choices? How to act in order to comply with ethics code? How to get the proper education on ethics question?
Understanding how to properly behave in certain situations is the reason a code of ethics is important. That is why several organizations are educating people on the ethics question and engage them to learn more about it. There are many organizations that work in the direction of educating people on ethics code, provide a lot of information and materials on the topic and establishing classes, workshops and tutorials to help to resolve ethics and morale questions and support the development of the humanity.
One of such organization is American Counseling Association. The American Counseling Association is an educational, scientific, and professional organization whose members work in a variety of settings and serve in multiple capacities. ACA members are dedicated to the enhancement of human development throughout the life span. Association members recognize diversity and embrace a cross-cultural approach in support of the worth, dignity, potential, and uniqueness of people within their social and cultural contexts.
When it comes to counseling, the “ethics ambassadors” should serve people and establish the professional relationship that empowers diverse individuals, families, and groups to accomplish mental health, wellness, education, and career goals.
To Professional values are an important way of living out an ethical commitment. The following are core professional values of the counseling profession:
- enhancing human development throughout the life span;
- honoring diversity and embracing a multicultural approach in support of the worth, dignity, potential, and uniqueness of people within their social and cultural contexts;
- promoting social justice;
- safeguarding the integrity of the counselor–client relationship; and
- practicing in a competent and ethical manner.
The ACA Code of Ethics serves five main purposes:
- TheCodeenables the association to clarify to current and future members, and to those served by members, the nature of the ethical responsibilities held in common by its members.
- TheCodehelps support the mission of the association.
- TheCodeestablishes principles that define ethical behavior and best practices of association members.
- TheCodeserves as an ethical guide designed to assist members in constructing a professional course of action that best serves those utilizing counseling services and best promotes the values of the counseling profession.
- TheCodeserves as the basis for processing of ethical complaints and inquiries initiated against members of the association.
The ACA Code of Ethics contains eight main sections that address the following areas:
- Section A: The Counseling Relationship
- Section B: Confidentiality, Privileged Communication, and Privacy
- Section C: Professional Responsibility
- Section D: Relationships With Other Professionals
- Section E: Evaluation, Assessment, and Interpretation
- Section F: Supervision, Training, and Teaching
- Section G: Research and Publication
- Section H: Resolving Ethical Issues
If you are interested in the ethics question, or, perhaps, you are the one who wants to engage more in the topics and learn about counseling to become one, you might need to visit ACA site and look for additional materials in there to get more details on each section.
But if you are writing an essay on the topic, you might use some of the ACA code of ethics citation. Thus, the information will be helpful for you as well.
While using the materials form the sources, you need to know how to cite the ACA code of ethics. You must include the ACA Code of Ethics in a reference list at the end of your paper, just as you would with any other source.
Here are the steps you should follow while doing it:
Step 1. List the authoring organization.
Step 2. Add the date of publication in parentheses and followed by a period. For example: (2012).
Step 3. Write the title of the code, followed by a period.
Step 4. List the city and state of publication, followed by a colon.
Step 5. Include the information about the publisher. Because the publisher is the same as the author, you simply need to list the publisher as “Author.”
So the final citation looks like For example, (American Counseling Association, 2012, Section B).
To sum up, many of our personal and professional actions and decisions involve ethics. Ethics refers to society’s sense of the right way of living our daily lives. Individuals will strive for a better environment to live in, they will be responsible for the people and things around them.
A good code of ethics will bring out excellence in everyone around and allow the culture to function better as a whole.
Now you have to decide for yourself if you want to live an honorable life. In the end, when you look back will you be proud of behaving ethically or will you be ashamed of your words and deeds? No matter how anyone else acts, you have to live with yourself – do the right thing, hold yourself to a higher standard, and it will be much easier to do!