Some good opinion essay topics include:
- Should the voting age be changed?
- Should the driving age be raised?
- Should people be allowed to keep exotic animals as pets?
- Should sexual education be taught at school?
- Should abortions be legal?
- Should there be a bike sharing program?
- Should America start using the metric system?
- Should there be free public Wi-Fi?
- Should you punish people who download music illegally?
- Should boys and girls be in separate classes?
Intro on an opinion essay
In an opinion essay, you express your thoughts on a given topic. It would seem that any work is an expression of one’s own thoughts. What is the essence of this kind of essay? In opinion essays, you need not just to reflect your point of view but also look at the proposed topic from different angles. Consider all aspects of the issue, write your opinion, and necessarily confirm it with confident arguments.
An essay-opinion plan includes:
- Introduction. You specify the topic of reasoning.
- Main part. You express your opinion and confidently argue it. Here it is also desirable to consider the opinion opposite to yours and explain to the reader why you do not share this point of view.
- The conclusion. You sum up, finally formulating your point of view on the proposed topic.
What to describe in essay?
An opinion essay is the paper where you share your opinion on a certain issue. Therefore, one main idea is the foundation of reasoning, its core that is accurately formed, clear, and grounded from various opinions.
- Step one. Clearly form the idea you want to talk about. You can check the success of this step in the following way.
- Step two. Choose the arguments that support your idea and arrange them in the following order: very convincing – convincing enough – the most convincing.
Useful reference on how to write opinion essay
An opinion essay consists of the following:
- Thesis (that idea, opinion, judgment that you formed and which you are going to defend in your paper).
- Statements (your every statement should be regarded as a visual proof, achieved, and thus an authentic proof of your ideas).
- A conclusion (it talks once again about the thesis bringing it to a new level with the usage of forecasts, advice, recommendations, etc.).
A desirable section of the reasoning is a brief intro, the task of which is to engage the reader in a dialogue, define the main idea and relevance of the issue.
For instance, the the topic of the essay is “First Love”. The first thing you need to do is to create the thesis.
If your thesis is “The first love happens in the life of every person and greatly influences the future”, the intro can be: “For teens, the first love is often the meaning of life, while adults only smile at it. However, in vain parents and acquaintances grin: according to psychologists, the first love hides the source of our adult happiness and misfortune”.
Argumentation in the essay should be no more than two thirds of the whole size. It is best to have three arguments for a small paper.
The best statements are those that are known to everyone such facts from history or at least those that can be easily verified using the specialized literature and documents. Good evidence will be statistical data, the events under discussion. In the practice of school essays, the weightiest argument is a literary work, not all, but that episode, the story line, the hero’s story that confirm your idea.
To correctly choose statements, spell your thesis out every time you read it and ask it the question “Why?”
For instance, here is another thesis related to the theme “First Love” – “To love means to become better”. Why?
A personal experience can also be an argument but remember that such evidence is least convincing and it is well represented in the form of an extension to the main facts, known and authoritative.
Then choose the arguments that support your idea and arrange them from the least convincing to the most convincing.
Conclusion deepens the thesis and contains advice, rules or offers forecasts.
For instance, no matter when the first love occurs in your life, it can make a person tough cynic, an unrecognizable romantic or a realist. The first one will be deeply unhappy: he cannot love, which means that he will remain alone. The second from the absolute optimism of love often turns to the same pessimism of “no love”. And only the third is able to find harmony. In order to have more people like this, adults, relatives, friends should be careful and serious about the feelings of adolescents and children.
Essay samples for inspiration
An opinion essay is a kind of creative work. Do not be shy of your thoughts. Don’t think your thoughts and opinions will be stupid. Pretend that you’re talking to a friend and sharing your opinion on the subject.
Often, there are difficulties with writing the first sentence. You do not know where to start. In this case, the writing of the entry should be postponed. That is, first write the main part of the work, then the conclusion, and only then return to the introduction.
In order not to be shy of your thoughts, it’s recommended writing anonymous essays in order to read them in the future for the whole class and make out your mistakes on your example. Everyone recognizes their own essay and is not afraid of the ridicule of fellow students or bad evaluation. You will understand what was incorrect in your work (in stylistic terms, in the logic of presentation, etc.). At the same time, teachers should not read even very funny excerpts from the works, especially with the indication of the author. After such an analysis, the student may have a persistent hatred for writing works.
It should be noted that the key to good writing is reading books and communicating with adults. Talk more often sharing your opinion on certain things, discuss everything you see and hear, everything that interests you.
Tips for writing
Here are the tips to follow when writing an opinion essay:
- Stick to the structure of the essay. Once you have received the assignment, determine the type of essay and the plan by which you will write it. After that, come up with the title, the intro, several paragraphs of the main part, and the conclusion.
- Use a draft. Since there is not much time to write an essay use the draft. Outline your thoughts and arguments using short theses. This will allow you not to forget important thoughts while writing a final version of the text.
- Prepare for any topic. The essay shows not only your level of language knowledge but also erudition. Therefore, before preparing for the exam read the texts on different topics.
- Leave time for the check-up. Allocate the time so that at the end of the exam you have at least 5 minutes left to check the essay.
- Define the appropriate style. The style of writing an essay should be semi-formal or formal. Do not use slang and word abbreviations.
- Be concise. The essay is a short written work. Keep within the limits of the text.
- Give arguments. Each written thought should not sound unfounded. Support it with arguments, a vivid example, statistics, etc.
- Use the word-bundles. Introductory words for essays are important links that link sentences together, forming a logical chain of your thoughts.
- Use a variety of vocabulary and grammar. Avoid repetition of words, use synonyms and complex grammatical constructions.
- Present your thoughts correctly. Essay is a written expression of your thoughts on a particular topic. And here it is important not to forget about elementary delicacy.
- Write softly. Though you should write your thoughts on the issue, try not to use the structures such as “I’m sure that …”, “I know that …”, etc.
List of topics for opinion essay
If you’re at a loss about what topic to choose for your opinion essay, search online where you can find many interesting opinion paper topics to get an idea of what you can write about.
How to choose a right topic?
In order to choose the right topic for your paper, the topic should be interesting for you and you should have a desire to write about it and research it.
Conclusion on an opinion essay
Now you know how to write an essay perfectly. In order for this theoretical knowledge to bring you practical knowledge in the form of a high score on the exam, actively use them. Practice writing essays on different topics – this will be the best preparation for the exam.