When you apply to colleges you have chosen, you are required to write an essay along with the application. In this work you have to write about yourself to convince the admission committee that you deserve to start studying in the particular college. This may be quite difficult to create this paper, that’s why we write this article where you will find many useful tips and ideas about choosing good topics for writing a 5 paragraph essay.
We tried to gather and structure all the needed information, so you would understand things better. Just keep reading our guide and good luck with your writing!
What is a five paragraph essay?
This type of essay structure is a standard for college essay writing. This format is also widely used in many college classes. Let’s consider the benefits of this format. In general, this is an effective way to polish and develop your composition skills. Probably, for some people, it seems difficult to create this type of essay, but after reading our guide you will get all the needed 5 paragraph essay ideas to create a successful college essay!
Key elements of an excellent college essay
Let’s draw a structure of a 5 paragraph paper. It consists of next parts:
Here the writer describes the main idea of paper and gives to readers a short background about the entire work. This is the most important element of your essay because nobody would read a paper with a weak introduction. Here you should also put a thesis statement – this is the sentence that shows the main idea of your paper. Actually, there are many ways how to start this paragraph, and here are the most popular:
- choose good topics for a 5 paragraph essay to impress your readers with a bright subject;
- start your work with a quote to turn your readers’ attention;
- bring an interesting question and give an answer in the essay;
- write an anecdote or some exciting story at the very beginning, it will help to make your work non-ordinary;
- put a name of a well-known person at the very beginning (people like to read things connected to celebrities, politics, etc.)
- Body part, paragraph 1.
- Body part, paragraph 2.
- Body part, paragraph 3.
This is the main part of your work that consists of three paragraphs. Here you can put all the needed information to support the main idea of your paper. Keep in your mind that each of three paragraphs should contain the one argument or point to support a thesis statement.
This is the fifth paragraph of your essay where you have to end up your work shortly and logically.
Why it’s important to choose right topics for five paragraph essay?
Selecting a topic is a quite important step in your work because all success of your essay depends on this question. If you choose an interesting subject for your paper, then you will definitely have a higher chance to be accepted at the college. Before creating your paper, you should discover interesting topics for a 5 paragraph essay, and select a good subject to highlight. Remember that a half of your success depends on a chosen subject, that’s why you should take your time and make a good research to find a bright and interesting topic. Keep reading our guide, and find fresh ideas for your paper’s topic to impress the admission committee!
Best five paragraph essay topics for college
We want to share some ideas for your future work’s subject, and hope you will find a good topic to write about!
- Tell your story. In this essay, you may tell about your hobbies, character or experience. Try to be honest and provide the admission committee with something interesting!
- Overcoming challenges. You definitely had something happened in your life that changed you to the best. Tell about your experience and what you have learned from the particular situation.
- Solving a situation. Present in your essay a situation when you had to find a decision to an important problem. Make people involved in the process, tell how you were insecure and what pushed you to make a final decision.
- Personal growth. Write here about some experience that made you better. Describe the event in details and provide the readers with arguments that prove your personal growth. Explain the importance of what happened.
- Write about your passion. This essay requires writing about the thing you are involved in. For example, it could be your favorite music, a book that inspired you, or just something you love to do the most. In this work, it’s very important to emphasize your individuality and personal qualities.
If you still need more concrete ideas, you can search and read a five paragraph essay topics list to create a strong paper.
How to write your own topic?
Of course, you can make your own topic to write about. We suggest making this step only if you already have an experience in writing essays. Feel free to brainstorm all ideas that come to your head, and choose the brightest one! Anyway, try to put your attention on next things:
- Dig deeply into your topic asking yourself why and how.
- Demonstrate your own individuality to the admission committee.
- Read examples of 5 paragraph essay topics for college, this will help to get your own idea of writing.
More useful tips in writing your college essay
Here we want to give you some useful ideas about creating your paper:
- Make a work about something that is very important and interesting for you.
- If you feel stuck with own ideas, find good topics to write a 5 paragraph essay on the Internet.
- Describe yourself and your own character through your paper.
- Bringing too many funny moments is a bad idea.
- Take your time and plan everything beforehand.
- Try not to write repetitive information.
- Make sure you revised your work and corrected all errors.
After we have shared all the needed tips for writing your paper and gave you the most interesting topic ideas for a 5 paragraph essay, we hope that you will create a successful and interesting work! We wish you good luck, and hope you will be approved by the college of your dream!